This week we are focusing on water as a final topic.
A. We watched a documentary called ‘Tapped’ about bottled water.
Transcript from the movie: Tapped
B. Students will test water quality we collected. Groups will record their information on a class table on the back board.
C. In addition, each student needs to read articles for background information:
- Must be Something in the Water
- The violent Afterlife of a Recycled Plastic Bottle
- Top Ten Wars of the Future (Over War)
- Virginia Second-Worst State for Toxic Chemicals Dumped into its Waterways
D. Water Taste Test Lab — students will taste test various waters and rate it on 5 characteristics. Turn in the tray.
E. Students will respond to this post with answers to the following questions using the articles their read as support:
Copy and paste the questions and insert answers as a response using the comment bubble at the top right corner of the post. Place your name at the top.
- What do you think makes a particular water taste the best?
- Which water you taste-tested was the best in your opinion and WHY?
- What is the water quality of the pond water? Was that a surprise to you? (we will discuss in class Thursday/Friday)
- Is bottled water safer than tap water?
- Recalling the movie, what do you think about the corporations that are mining water from towns/cities?
- What were the most shocking things discussed in the movie, in your opinion?
- Which river is the most polluted in VA?
- What can be done to protect Virginia’s rivers?
- What factors cause an area to have the potential for conflict over water?
- What scenario(s) are the scariest in your opinion?
- How much plastic is actually being recycled?
- What will future people think of the plastic we have in landfills?
- Would you ever consider not using bottled water? Why or why not?
- What is the most shocking thing your read about water supplies, water pollution, bottled water?
***I have truly enjoyed having you in my class — this semester has been great!